Thursday, February 11, 2010

India Part 5 (November 5, 2009)

Hi Everyone!


It's hard to believe I've been in India for a full two months. I'm really happy that I still have a month here though. I know that I still have so much to see and experience.


Last week, I spent three days in Delhi for Ruchika's wedding (I mentioned Ruchika in my second update). I spent the three wedding days with Ruchika, her closest friends, and her family. I know I can’t do the experience justice in an e-mail but I’ll try to mention the highlights.


The Sangeet Party was on Tuesday. This involved a ceremony where the bride's family welcomed the groom, a ring ceremony, and dance performances by both the bride's side and the groom’s side. I performed in two of the dances! I learned the steps (one traditional Punjabi dancestarted as Soulja Boy and turned into a Hindi song. So funny. Throughout all the dances, everyone in the audience was cheering, clapping, and dancing along. Dancing and seeing all the other performances was so a lot of fun.


On Wednesday, I got henna done on both my hands at a market with Ruchika’s friends and cousins. The bride traditionally also gets henna done on both legs. In the evening, close friends and family members packed into Ruchika’s home. We all sat together on the living room for hours, talking, laughing singing songs, and eating. This celebration seemed like a way of saying goodbye to Ruchika.


The real wedding started at eight in the evening on Thursday. Because the Hindu weddings here happen on days determined to be auspicious by priests, there were 30,000 weddings in Delhi alone that night. When we arrived, a parade of the groom’s side was waiting outside the venue. Amit was in a horse drawn carriage, everyone was singing, there was a marching band, and volcano fire crackers were spewing sparks. The wedding venue was a huge grassy area, elaborately decorated with lights, tents, multiple stages, tables, and curtains.


There were lots of ceremonies and traditions that took place throughout the wedding. For example, in the first ceremony, one person from each side of the family (an uncle and an uncle for example) went up on stage to formally greet and welcome each other. I really liked the emphasis on family throughout the entire wedding. The marriage was clearly a joining of two entire families, not just of Amit and Ruchika.


For what seemed like the main event, Ruchika joined Amit on a platform. As they stood holding hands, the platform raised up in the air and rotated slowly. Meanwhile, confetti was being blown out of huge tubes and there were fireworks. I felt like I was in the movie Fantasia or something.


After that, there was lots of dancing and eating. I love the music and dance moves here. To a foreigner, the moves seemed like a joke at first, which makes them all the more fun to do. And I think I would classify the extensive buffet with no fewer than 475 different food items as one of the top five greatest things that has ever happened to me.


The actual marriage ceremony took place at two in the morning. As part of the ceremony, Ruchika and Amit walked “seven circles,” each representing a promise that they were making to each other.


I walked around with my jaw hanging open in awe for most of the three days. I have never seen anything like this wedding. I had such an incredible time. And I feel so lucky to have gotten such an in depth experience of a traditional Indian wedding.


Things have been very busy at Udayan Care. In addition to the usual things like soccer and academic help, I've put on a few fun activities. Last weekend, we watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory after finishing reading the book in English. I handed out mini chocolate bars to everyone as well because watching that movie without any chocolate is pure torture. On Saturday, we celebrated Halloween. After all the girls had dressed up (most of them were fairies and princesses), we had a face painting session. Then we turned off all the lights and the girls came trick or treating at my door. After getting to celebrate so many Indian festivals, it was fun to teach the girls about an American tradition.


I have been cooking a bunch lately. I help in the kitchen nearly every day. I'm hoping that I'll be able to recreate a simple North Indian meal when I get home. Last week I learned how to make momos which are little steamed Tibetan dumplings. Anna and I made french toast and fruit salad for everyone for breakfast. The 'egg sugar bread' as the girls keep calling it was a huge success. Yesterday we cooked pasta and garlic toast for dinner. Making garlic bread without an oven, toaster, garlic press, or brush was an accomplishment. The girls really like trying food from other countries.


Today is my last official day at the orphanage. Tomorrow, I embark on two and a half weeks of travel around Northern India with three of the German volunteers. We will spend a week touring Rajasthan by car. Then we will head to Varanasi and Darjeeling by train.


I am definitely looking forward to this next part of my adventure but I don’t want to leave Udayan Care. I am really going to miss all of the girls. I am so used to living here and the daily routine. I have already decided to come back to Greater Noida for at least a couple days after traveling because there’s no way I can say goodbye to the girls for good. I am thankful that I have been able to become a part of this big family.


I miss you all and I hope you are well,

Emmiliese

No comments:

Post a Comment